Do you give the dog peanut butter? Does your dog, like many others, love it too? It’s ideal for stuffing in hollow toys or for disguising pills. But increasingly, xylitol, a sugar substitute used in gum, yogurt, candy, and more, is being used in some peanut butters and nut butters. Safe for humans, xylitol is extremely toxic for dogs and can be life-threatening.
You always make sure to check the list of ingredients to make sure it doesn’t contain xylitol, before you give a dog a snack that is not intended for him.
Dogs who have ingested xylitol require immediate treatment. Xylitol poisoning can cause seizures, liver failure and possibly death. Anyone who suspects their dog may have ingested xylitol should contact veterinarian immediately. Symptoms manifest quickly and include vomiting, muscle weakness, tremors, and difficulty walking.
Of course peanut butter that doesn’t contain xylitol is absolutely safe for dogs and a healthy treat—just be sure to read the label!