It seems like we’re always hearing horror stories about the horrible byproducts that go into commercial dog foods. DIY pet food is starting to feel like the right way to go. These homemade dog food recipes will give your pup the nutrition they need, without all that added stuff they don’t. Plus, your dog will totally think they are eating human food — which will make them feel beyond special.
Prepare turkey and fresh veggies for him! You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup peas, canned or frozen
- Cook rice according to package instructions, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas and brown rice until the spinach has wilted and the mixture is heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
This recipe has a balance of 50% protein, 25% veggies and 25% grains, but the ratios can easily be adjusted to suit your pup’s breed and/or needs. Remember! Before adding the new ingredients to your dog’s diet, discuss it with your veterinarian or animal dietitian.
Based on: http://damndelicious.net/2015/04/27/diy-homemade-dog-food/; http://www.sheknows.com/pets-and-animals/articles/1084656/homemade-dog-food-recipes (9.08.2017)