Check out this list of the most poisonous foods for dogs and be sure you keep them far away from your pup’s curious snout!
- Chocolate and cocoa. Just one bite can cause a dog to vomit or have diarrhea. It can also cause abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and death.
- Grapes. Grapes are known to cause kidney disease in most breeds.
- Avocados. Contains persin, which is known to give dogs vomiting and diarrhea.
- Onions and garlic. Large volumes of these vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage, which can lead to anemia.
- Alcohol. Feeding your pet beer or wine isn’t funny, it could be deadly. Just a drop can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing and even death.
- Milk and dairy products. Just one slice of cheese won’t kill your pet, but excessive dairy will likely negatively disrupt their digestive system, since dogs don’t have as much of the lactose breaking enzyme that humans do.
- Coffee. Just a sip of coffee or caffeine can lead to restlessness, heart palpitations and bleeding, while a large dosage can be fatal.
- Gum. Xylitol, or the sweetener found in gum and candy, can lead to liver failure and hypoglycemia. In addition, a dog’s digestive system cannot break down gum the way humans do and the sticky substance can block up their system, which can quickly lead to death.
Remember, that you are responsible for the health and safety of your pet. Forward this information to all owners of dogs!